Friday, July 27, 2007

Back to the Simple Things.

You know, there is something about death that causes us to return to the simple things. We have attended five funerals in less than two weeks, and quite frankly, we hope we don't have to attend another for a long, long, LONG time. Some of the funerals have been joyful celebrations of the life of someone who loved the Lord and the fruit of their life was clear proof. Others, to be honest, rang empty. It is amazing the stark difference of attending a funeral when the person was a known Christian vs. a funeral where the person wasn't committed to Christ. What became clearer to me in this successsion of funerals was this: In the end, all that matters is Christ and living His will. It doesn't matter what you do, how good you are at what you do, how many awards and accolades you have earned, how big your assets are......all that matters is Christ. God is teaching me, through all this pain, more what He meant in the words of Paul: "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

So this week, I have been paying attention to and really savoring the simple things. Like the daisies from Mondays post. And taking a few days away from the computer. And spending extra time cuddling with my kids. And lunch with my husband. And laying on the floor for over an hour with puppy Ruby last night.....it is amazing how therapeutic dogs can be with their nose nudges and warm bellies and wet little kisses. And picking blueberries. And going to the beach. And watering my flowers. And smelling the just-rained air.

Today, I am headed out for a day-long scrapping outing. The Great American Scrapbook Convention is in town, so I'll start there and then on to Pages in Time for scrapping until midnight. Hopefully, the events of the last two weeks will enhance my reflectiveness and creativity as I focus on God's rich, rich blessings in my life. Also, I am gearing up for the big 3-5......yes, I turn 35 years old on Sunday, so I have been a bit nostalgic about that also. Happy, Happy Friday, and don't forget to enjoy--really SAVOR--the simple things today.

2 comments:

Jody said...

I am reminded of the truth you speak of here every single day. Without Christ, I don't know where I would be with the pain the world has handed me. Sunday marks the 6th anniversary of our tragedy. It still hurts. Yet I know that God has brought me so far from that hurt- into a life that very much reflects the grace He gives me over and over. I hope you have a wonderful birthday. 3-5...mine is coming up in December. {wink} I am so glad that you appreciate the 'simple' yet oh so meaningful, things of life. All my best to you in this next year...and hopefully we will scrap together soon!

Danielsmommy said...

Hey Nicci,
Great Blog entry. Sorry I couldn't make it down this past week. Just enjoying some good family time before the craziness of football kicks in.
Happy Birthday to you.
Hope you have a great one!
Gods Blessings to you!