Sunday, July 08, 2007

Vacation, Day Three

Help! For some reason, Blogger isn't letting me put titles on my posts in the last few days. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

OK, let me set the record straight to begin......I have taken a bit of good-natured teasing here about "camping." Yes, we were camping in a quite remote area of Michigan where there was wilderness all around; HOWEVER, we were in a state park that did have operational toilets, showers and electric hook-ups. I am all for camping and communing with nature, but I do like to retain some semblance of civilization.....so, yes, we did take some modern appliances like the toaster, coffee pot, and skillet with us......OK, OK, and small hair dryer which I only used a couple of times....:) :) Don't think we got all crazy and camped in the remote back-woods with our young children without our coffee pot, plug-in tent lights, and skillet! We'll leave the survival camping to the professionals {at least until the kids are a little older}!

Day Three consisted mainly of fishing and spending time hiking around and exploring Lake Superior. Words cannot describe adequately how gorgeous Lake Superior is at this spot in Michigan. I think we can often forget how stunningly Michigan showcases the creative hand of God....this trip really was all about reminding us of that. You can see mountains like out west, green expanse of forests like US national parks, gorgeous sparkling waters of countless shades of green, blue and teal just like in the Mexican Riviera or the Carribean.....all right here in our little Michigan. We hiked about 1.5 miles in to get to the water, finding many critters and critter-homes to explore along the way. The daisies and other wildflowers growing along the way were so beautiful in their natural state, and I couldn't resist asking the kids for a little snapshot session along the way.

As we were hiking along the forest line separating land from the Lake Superior shoreline, we were treated to little glimpses of blue through the trees. When we were treated with our first view of Lake Superior, it was absolutely inspiring:

The next several hours were spend scanning and exploring and just breathing in the gorgeous shoreline. This particular area of Lake Superior is known for its variety of rocks, especially agate, so we had so much fun picking out the prettiest rocks....it is amazing how the power of the water's motion over time smooths these rocks so they are as silky as an eggshell. Of course, then mom and dad got to LUG the finds home!







We even made a little teepee-style fort with driftwood found on the beach. Each day, we returned to find our little shelter intact and added some to it. The kids thought they were real life explorers!


We returned to our campsite with windblown hair and skin but so peaceful and in awe of our God. I spent a lot of the week mediating on Psalm 139 and will share those thoughts in a later post, but it is incredible to me that the same God who made our beautiful natural surroundings also created me--and you--and called us very good. To be fearfully and wonderfully made by His hand in His image....it boggles my mind, and I am trying to come to understand and own more of what that means.

And, no account of our vacation would be complete without introducing the "Potty Toad" to you. Hayden was so surprised and thrilled that one morning, when he and Daddy were going to the potty, he found a little toad in the urinal. Well, when we turned our backs, Hayden snuck back to the bathroom to "rescue" this little guy....so first he pees and him, and then he proceeds to carry him around all day. Such an almost-four-year-old little boy thing to do!

Tomorrow, I will share photos from our adventure to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, and I truly do mean adventure.

Things are getting more to normal around here post-vacation and post-party. I attended a funeral yesterday up in Cadillac, one for the father of a dear friend of mine from high school. While it was a very sad occasion, it was so good to reconnect with she and her family. She just had a baby 9 days ago, so within the span of less than 2 days, she welcomed her second son and said goodbye to her father. Life is so short and unpredictable, we certainly need to celebrate and strive to "be present" fully in every moment.

On a scrapping note, on the way home, I took a tour into Greenville and found a GREAT little scrapbook store here: http://www.onceuponamemory.biz/shop/. I also stopped at the new Arnie's that is there, so came away with some fun new supplies from a few companies I had not seen before......hoping for some Saturday scrapping time to play with these. Have a great Tuesday!

1 comment:

Danielsmommy said...

LOVE the potty toad. Way too funny!! and it is a 3 1/2 yr old thing to do!
I AM very interested in scrapping that weekend. Already had it marked off on the calendar. Do I need to register somewhere?
Take care
H