When I got home, Kennedy asked me right away if we could do language. I am working with her through a curriculum entitled "First Language Lessons" which is a very classic grammar curriculum, pretty old-school material (but I love it). It includes a lot of cognitive exercises such as memorizing poetry, knowing parts of speech in and out, and diagramming sentences. So, we reviewed nouns, including the difference between proper and common nouns. Hayden was sitting drawing a picture next to us.
As we worked on our white boards to put nouns into columns (proper or common), I soon realized that Hayden was listening, looking at her board, and pointing to the correct column. He was actually "getting" the difference between common and proper nouns! So, I handed him his board, and he proceeded to join us. I underestimated him and thought this lesson was above his current level of understanding; he proved me wrong and now has a head start in learning about nouns! I just wanted to share a little gem that I really enjoyed getting to see first-hand today.

4 comments:
We use that here, too. E is always in on the lessons as well. We use "Explode the Code" with him and he recognizes that the names are capitalized because they are "popper" nouns. So very fun!!
Glad you are all doing well.
Very cool, indeed! I love the updates:)
I love that you're sharing snippets of the schooling - it makes me smile. :)
Sounds like you had a wonderful day! How great it must have felt to have Kennedy waiting to work on her language curriculum with you. Hayden sounds like such a great little guy. What a cool moment to have him listening and learning right along with Kennedy. What a great relationship you and your husband have with your kids!
Post a Comment