Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sight Seeing.

Well, I did the "totally tourist" thing today and bought a 2-day pass for a tour bus that takes you all around the different areas of New York. Wow, was there a lot to take in. Let's see....highlights of the tour included Times Square (the photo above shows the tower from which the ball is dropped each year on New Year's Eve), China Town (I'll head back there for cheap shopping tomorrow), Rockefeller Center and Plaza, all the big stores like the original Macy's and Sak's, Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, and the Brooklyn Bridge. Glimpses of the Empire State Building, the United Nations building, Wall Street, and the Statue of Liberty. So much history on this city. So, so, soooooo many stores and restaurants and quaint little boutiques. The culture is truly amazing.......so much racial and ethnic diversity that is reflected in skin color, food, dress, commerce......I have so enjoyed this rich diversity and can see why people enjoy living here for that reason. However, I must say......we did get a taste of the "rude New Yorker" sterotype.....as our tour bus went by an outdoor cafe, a table of friendly-looking people offered a seemingly friendly wave; however, when several of us waved back, they proceeded to flip us off while smiling the whole time. Odd. But, I guess it's just another memorable facet of this interesting New York culture. I also bought a ticket for a Broadway show for tomorrow night; this is something that was on my "list of things to do before you die" list, so I have been able to check off two items this week.

Later tonight, I plan to do a longer post expresssing my thoughts about the highlight of the day and truly one of the most emotional experiences I have ever had: My time spent today at Ground Zero and the former sight of the World Trade Center. Praying at Ground Zero was another "to do" on my life list, and I have spent a lot of time today reflecting on this time. More on this later, after a little nap, dinner, and the nighttime tour.

1 comment:

Jody said...

Wow! I've never been to NYC myself, so your experience is really a treat for me to 'see' and read. I'm sure I would love it, if/when I get the chance. I've mentioned it several times in the course of our marriage, but it has yet to transpire in real life. Someday though! Maybe you & your hubby and me and mine? Could make for a fun weekend! I'll be back to read the rest of your thoughts and adventure. Have a great trip!