Thursday, March 29, 2007

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS!

Some experiences in life just can't be adequately captured by a camera; they are better left etched in the mind. Tonight, I had one of those experiences. Here is a photo of me outside New York's historic Amsterdam Theater where I attended the new Broadway musical Mary Poppins. And all I can say is.......wow. When I was selecting a show to attend, there were so many good ones to choose from.....Hairspray, Phantom, Les Miserables, The Color Purple, Chicago....and so many more. For just a moment, I was tempted to go with the "more sophisticated choice"--it is New York, after all--but then I decided to be me and go with my heart and Mary Poppins. My heart led me the right way once again! This was truly, truly a professional show in all regards. Superb set and constumes, right down to every last detail. Pure talent in the voices. Outstanding light effects. Impeccable timing for every line. Exemplary orchestra. Amazing choreography. A fascinatingly gorgeous historical theatre setting in which I had an awesome front-center aisle seat. A creative mix of fun and whimsy and raw theatrical talent.....I am honestly awed by what a phenomenal performance this was. Sure, I assumed that the story would be heartwarming and nostalgic, but I did not anticipate the quality and awe that would be encompassed in this performance. I was in the theatre for 3 hours, and I could have easily sat through 3 more hours of that type of talent. This was a truly magical experience and by far the most enchanting and inspiring performance I have ever witnessed. Sure, I thought it would be cool to attend a Broadway musical, but never did I realize that it would be such an inspiring experience.....I will not soon forget it. Some of the highlights for me:

  • Mary Poppins "flying" into the rafters of the theatre....how did they do that?
  • The tap-dancing to the song "Step in Time"--so energetic and perfectly choreographed
  • Singing of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"--did I spell that right?
  • Watching how the set changed between each scene....seamless and so interesting to watch
  • Meeting a couple from London who sat next to me.....while they were quite "tipsy" by the end of the show (they serve alcohol for those who want it), they were very friendly and cordial
  • The finale song entitled "Anything can happen"--this included the cast on a huge Mary Poppins umbrella....I just can't describe how cool these props were!

Things I realy didn't appreciate as much.......having to pay $10.00 for a small box of Jr. Mints and a small Diet Coke......makes movie theatre prices look like a huge bargain! The woman beside me getting increasingly "shnookered" as the night went on, so I had to deal with the strong smell of booze in the second half of the show. Incidentally, her husband had to nearly carry her out......but they were very friendly people! At first, I was kind of perturbed about not being able to take photos but.....truly, this one is better tucked away and relived in the recesses of my mind....it was THAT GOOD.

Well, this is my last night in New York City. Being here has truly opened up my mind to how diverse and intriguing this city is.....but I am ready to go home to my quieter town and my green grass and my husband and kiddos. I will appreciate not having constant honking of horns and bright lights flashing......traveling is amazing but it always makes you appreciate home.

Tomorrow, I plan to hit Chelsea Market in the morning to hopefully find a small piece of pottery.....I collect pottery from everywhere I travel, and I have yet to find a piece made by a local New York artist that I like. As Mary Poppins said in the musical the first time she left--knowing that she would soon return to Jane and Michael Banks--"Au Revoire!".

No comments: