That look is in the sky today. That smell is all about. That dark steely gray color. That fresh crispness. That smell that says snow is near. Do you know what I'm talking about? OK, we interrupt this blog for a special announcement.....IT'S OFFICIALLY SNOWING! Ahhhhh, the first snowfall of the year. It conjures up so many memories........squealing and running to find our coats to we could run out and try to pack the snow into snowballs. To get our first cold yummy taste of fresh snow. And so I see my own kids doing the same thing.....except they didn't even wait to put their shoes and coats on.....hence, the bare little toesies against the fresh-fallen November snow. Get in here, you two, and at least get some shoes on!!


But isn't there something magical and pure about the first snow? Something cozy, that tells us that it is OK to stay inside and nurture our families and rest and just be at home. That's what winter has come to mean to me. Yes, I love to go out sledding with the kids and building snowmen is one of my very favorite winter activities. But most of all, I like to cozy inside on winter days and nights and just reflect on being safe, protected, and blessed by God. And so thankful that I decided to throw a big pot of Ditalini Vegetable soup on the stove and a pan of corn bread into the oven tonight!
So today, on the 5th day of November, I am thankful for the seasons. I love all of the seasons in its own right, but I mostly love the transitions between the seasons. I love it when winter starts to break and the first hints of spring become apparent, from the breaking through the ground of the first tulips to the first melody of the birds heard from my window. And when spring inches its way toward the hot days of summer, as the flower are in full bloom and the waters warm enough for swimming and boating and just enjoying the shore. And when that touch of chill starts to signal the fall is on the horizon...when the shades of green turn to a rainbow of oranges and reds and yellows. And finally, when fall gives way to the cold and snow of winter. It tells me so much about God's creativity.....how amazing a being He is to have spoken this thing we call "the seasons" into existence. And how powerful He is to control each and every part of nature. Standing in amaz=ement today....have a blessed one.
But isn't there something magical and pure about the first snow? Something cozy, that tells us that it is OK to stay inside and nurture our families and rest and just be at home. That's what winter has come to mean to me. Yes, I love to go out sledding with the kids and building snowmen is one of my very favorite winter activities. But most of all, I like to cozy inside on winter days and nights and just reflect on being safe, protected, and blessed by God. And so thankful that I decided to throw a big pot of Ditalini Vegetable soup on the stove and a pan of corn bread into the oven tonight!
So today, on the 5th day of November, I am thankful for the seasons. I love all of the seasons in its own right, but I mostly love the transitions between the seasons. I love it when winter starts to break and the first hints of spring become apparent, from the breaking through the ground of the first tulips to the first melody of the birds heard from my window. And when spring inches its way toward the hot days of summer, as the flower are in full bloom and the waters warm enough for swimming and boating and just enjoying the shore. And when that touch of chill starts to signal the fall is on the horizon...when the shades of green turn to a rainbow of oranges and reds and yellows. And finally, when fall gives way to the cold and snow of winter. It tells me so much about God's creativity.....how amazing a being He is to have spoken this thing we call "the seasons" into existence. And how powerful He is to control each and every part of nature. Standing in amaz=ement today....have a blessed one.

1 comment:
Too funny !
Your kids know how to have a good time regardless of how cold it might be underfoot.
Post a Comment