Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Spoonful of Sugar.





We're dealing with a nasty cough around here, mainly affecting myself and Hayden. Of course, as the good parents that we are, we called our neighb0r, who also happens to be our doctor, and had him write up a prescription for some cough medicine. Yum. Now, even though I have a cough, too, that is getting the best of me, I typically will just suffer through it rather than take cough syrup. Yuck-O. But my own biases against nasty-tasting medicinal concoctions do not stop my from making sure that my son takes his medicine. After all, isn't that what a good mother does? What's fair about that? But isn't it our job as parents to make sure our kids understand that life isn't fair? :) My son has been a real trooper taking his medicine....and the "coolness" of being able to take it with an empty syringe is a little bit of sugar to help the whole ideal go a little smoother. And we only lost one syringeful when, in a fit of resistance, he shot the medicine across the kitchen all over the floor and appliances. Nice. Usually, our puppy laps up whatever we spill on the floor.....but she got one sniff of that stuff, and ran into the living room with her tail between her legs!
Today is all about resting and trying to shake this bug. I have HUGE MOUNTAINS of grading to get done in the next 2 weeks before the semester ends for Christmas break, and I don't have time to be developing a more serious illness. So, I'm sucking on the vitamin c-drops, drinking hot tea cup after cup, downing Thera-Flu in between, and trying to get as much rest as humanly possible when you work and have 2 young children. Why, oh why, don't mothers ever get a sick day?

No comments: