Today was a bittersweet day for me. We were driving along, and my son told me that he loved me. He does this quite often just out of the blue...he is just thoughtful that way. But what got to me was how he said it.For the longest time, when Hayden first started talking, he would say "Ah-Ba-Boo" which was "I love you"....it was just the cutest thing, and I can still hear his little voice in my mind and heart saying it. I hope I never forget how that sounded.
Then, as he got to be three, he started saying "I wub you." He had a lot of trouble enunciating his L's, so this became the endearing way that he told us he loved us. So sweet. "I wub you, Mommy."
Today was the first time he clearly said, "I LOVE you." His L was perfect, no "wubs" about it. It made me stop in my tracks. Look in the rear-view mirror at his precious smiling face.
My baby is growing up. He is growing and mastering and becoming his own little man.
It made me think about the fact that while his words have changed and gotten more mature and more perfected, the heart behind his words has always been the same.
I love you, too, Little Guy. And I wub you, and Ah-Ba-Boo. More and more every day.

3 comments:
Nicci,
His smile is contagious. Such an adorable little boy. Mama's just can't get enough "I love you's" can they? everytime I hear it, it makes me smile...
Have a blessed rest of the week!
~H
Oh, I know exactly how you feel! With E's therapy, his speech is getting better, but I dearly miss some of those sweet little things he used to say. *sniff* I still get "wub" and will mourn the loss of it one day. *sniff, again*
Nicci, It's really not fair making a pregnant lady cry like you did today:) What a sweet gift he is, wubbing you.
Post a Comment