Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Beach Grass.


For the past 5 years, I have taught an Art Therapy class at the university. Without a doubt, it is one of my very favorite courses to teach because I am passionate about living a creative life. I believe that I create because I was created. That when we create, we commune with God, our amazing Creator, in a very special and intimate way.

Part of my Art Therapy course is a one-day "at the shore experience" where I lead students on a 4-hour reflective time at the shoreline of Lake Michigan. Much of this time is spent in solitary journalling, drawing, painting, writing, praying, reading and reflecting. For me, the shore is a place where the sights and sounds immediately clear my mind of all of the "everyday stuff" that gets between me and God, and I hear God's voice the most clearly. Each of these experiences has been life-changing for me, and students report the same.

Today was no exception. I spent the day just relaxing and listening to God speak to me. Conversing with my Creator. I also spent some time sketching, something that I have not done in years. And it was so invigorating. My attention was drawn to a clump of beach grass that was so interesting in its composition. So I took an hour to draw it. As I drew, God brought several truths to mind:

  • Beach grass looks as if it is flimsy and will pull easily from the sand.
  • But it's not. Try to pull beach grass out, and you will soon realize that it is very firmly rooted deep beneath the sand.
  • Beach grass was created uniquely for the beach environment. Even when the sands shift and blow, the beach grass remains firm.

And isn't that what God provides to us? A firm foundation wherein our roots can reach and establish their hold. And when the sands of life blow (and they will), He holds us firmly in the place where He has created us to be.

I re-read the parable of The Sower from Matthew, and was reminded that seeds can fall into many different types of soil. And only when planted in rich, fertile soil can roots take hold and grow and withstand the elements and weeds that will inevitably come.

What a refreshing day to reconnect with my soul, my creativity, and my Creator. If you are harried and hurried and overwhelmed with your busy life, I urge you to take a day, head to the beach (no cell phones or iPods or music allowed), and spend some time reflecting on the amazing creativity of God. Write or draw. Pray or just listen. Read your Bible, take photos.....it's good for my soul, and you might find it inspiring to you as well.

2 comments:

Celebrate Today said...

Beautiful, Nicole! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Heather said...

I might have to take your advice! What an awesome reflection. Thanks for sharing!
H