Monday, June 09, 2008

Summer Vacation, Day One.

It is here. Vacation felt really REAL today as we slept in until almost 9:00. The kids then went up to school with Matt for football camp, while I went to a meeting (hopefully my last of the summer!). The rest of the day involved:

  • Going to the library to sign up for the summer reading program and to check out some new books. Kennedy selected 3 new Trixie Belden mysteries to read until we pick up Harry Potter Book #5.
  • We took a trip to the dollar store here in town. I gave each of the kids a 5 dollar bill to pick out whatever they wanted. The scene went something like this: Hayden walks in the store, quickly surveys the toy section, and within 5 minutes, he was already up at the check-out paying for his purchases. Kennedy, on the other hand, carefully took time to look at the toy section, jewelry section, makeup section, and craft section. And she changed her mind several times. And 20 minutes later we are still waiting for her to make her final selections. And then, as she is paying, she decides to switch one of her items for a different one.
  • We made a quick trip to Costco for a couple of more memory cards so I can document all the summer fun around here. We also picked up some yummy blueberries, a large can of crushed garlic, and a Father's Day gift for Matt.
  • We also stopped quickly at Michael's so that I could stock up on foam paint brushes....20 for $1.00 can't be beat! We also picked up a "gooey science" kit for tomorrow....so we have declared Tuesdays "science day" for the summer. Tomorrow will bring make goo, while next Tuesday brings making erupting volacanoes. Ahhh, remember those from grade school?

All in all, it was a great start to our break. The weather is finally cooling down and it looks like tomorrow should be another nice one.

3 comments:

Greta said...

It sounds like a great start to your summer!

By the way, I thought of you with all the storms this weekend. Glad to hear you're all okay!

Sonja said...

Yay for summer! (not so much on the storms for me:) I am going to SISiversary this weekend (Roy is coming with me to make sure I'm okay:) However, after all of this excitement, the only thing I feel like doing is sleeping;)

Celebrate Today said...

Hey, Nic! Sorry we didn't see you this weekend! Sounds like you guys are having a great time! We did science today, too!

We'll have to compare notes later!