Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Laundry Room Makeover.

Given that birthday craze is over at our house (whew), or at least until September, I thought that I would use this week to share some of the home projects that I have been working with over the past few weeks and, in some cases months. First up.......the laundry room.

In our previous house, the washer and dryer were housed in a closet in the hallway, meaning that whenever I did laundry, the hallway was overtaken with sorted piles of dirty laundry. Not an ideal design plan, if you ask me. So I was thrilled when our new house had a small, but nonetheless separate, laundry room. But it was a very white and boring room with no personality.

Last fall, when I was down in Detroit for a scrap weekend, I took a side trip to IKEA and picked up a few things for the laundry room. I have had these things in the closet for nearly a half-year as other projects took precedence. But, this week was the laundry room's turn, and I am really pleased with how it turned out.


I am so thankful for our High Efficiency washer and dryer....I don't know what I would do without it (probably drown in laundry!).


The striped rug is from IKEA:
An old washboard that I found at an antique store cheap a few years ago:
I love these curtains....they just said fresh and natural to me, just what I wanted this laundry room to be about. I was drawn to the abstract leaf pattern and simple color scheme:

Here is what the room looks like from the hallway:
I am not a big fan of closet doors, especially when they are close to the entry door, so I took off the closet door and hung a matching curtain over it, with a tie-back attached to the door. I really like how it turned out, more of a casual look.

I designed this wall rub-on and purchased it from Uppercase Living last year, and have been saving it until I got the time for the laundry room upgrades. It went on so easily, like butter, and adds some personality to the room in a sarcastic sort of way! I just saw another one that said "Sorting out Life, one load at a time"......so fun.
I purchased these letters from Hobby Lobby. At first, I was planning to put them on straight, but them decided to give a bit of a funky letterplacement as I might on a scrapbook layout title.
The "laundry" definition sign above FRESH is something I picked up at a local store called Country Needleworks. They always have such a fun selection of signs like this, and I thought it would again add a splash of fun to an otherwise laborious space.


Paint="Rain" from Sherwin Williams (kind of a dusty aqua).


So, that is my laundry room makeover....(I hope it was worth the wait, Camille(edited)...so sorry for the OOPS!). Be;ieve it or not, I didn't snap a "before" photo....but I will search my archives to see if I by chance have one. During the rest of the week, I will share what I have been doing in my daughter's room and the master bedroom/bathroom. Next stop: Scrap studio reorganization.

Almost makes me want to do laundry. ALMOST.

4 comments:

Celebrate Today said...

It looks great!! My "project laundry room" is coming up soon, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

I wanted to also see what you were doing on Saturday? C and I are probably going to PIT to scrap, so let us know if you and K would like to join us!!

kendra said...

your laundry room has a floor! Who knew? Just kidding - I love it. The only thing that saves mine from getting buried is that we have to walk through it to get to the bedroom and bathroom! I think I used the same paint color in my laundry room! Don't completed house projects feel awesome? See ya in a few days.

Anonymous said...

Super duper cute. :) love the mix of modern/vintage items....

Must.Be.A-Follower. said...

Hey way cute laundry room! Not sure if the "Carmen" comment was s'posed to be for me.... I've been called worse. haha..
So I'm LOVING the paint color! I'm wanting to do my bedroom in that and the mochas/browns. Ya know...the trend right now. I've loved those colors before they became a trend though...kinda the vintage aquas, so cool.
Again, great laundry room---any chance you have a before pic? I LOVE seeing the transformation/process!
Thanks!