Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Shoppin' We Will Go!

Kennedy and I are leaving today for our annual over-night Girls' Back-to-School shopping trip. Growing up, our family would always drive from McBain to Grand Rapids for a weekend of shopping, eating out, hotel swimming, and fun. We would drive from mall to mall every day, making decisions about how to spend our $150.00 that we were each alotted. Usually, Sunday was reserved for going back to stores we had already visited to make final selections and to make returns when we found something we liked better. Looking back, I realize that my dad was a very patient man (Thanks, Dad!).

It is a tradition that I am happy to pass on with my own kids.

A few things have changed....like needing a larger budget......and we leave the boys at home :)

So, the next 2 days will be filled with trying on, fashion hunts, probably a few tears, a bit of the battle of wills, school supplies, swimming, good meals, and mother-daughter time. We will buy pencils and notebooks and crayons (and probably a few other fun office supplies, since we both LOVE office supplies!). We will buy hair bands and outfits and shoes and socks and probably a few little extras if we run into any bargains. I, for one, will be happy if I get 2 things for myself: New underwear (the holes in mine are getting pretty ridiculous!) and some new towels for my master bathroom in chocolate brown, sage and sea blue.

Although the best shopping in the area is right here in Grand Rapids by far, it just doesn't seem the same to stay in your own town to shop. So, we have made Lansing/Okemos our chosen destination.

Off we go!

No comments: