Monday, September 08, 2008

A Mini for Mrs. R.

Everyone has that small handful of teachers from their educational experience that stand out. These teachers have gone far above and beyond their job description to reach the heart and soul of a learner, to encourage and nurture a lifelong love for learning. As I think back on my own schooling, I have had some incredible teachers in my life. But noone stands out more than Mrs. R., my second grade teacher. She just had that "special something" that made each of her students feel special and loved and encouraged. Mrs. R was not only my second grade teacher, but she continued to be a special part of my life throughout my education and even to this day. She was the wife of one of my other all-time favorite teachers/coaches, kept book at hundreds of our softball games, attended our concerts....the list goes on. Mr. and Mrs. R. were so influential that Matt and I asked them to be the Master/Mistress of ceremonies at our wedding. And she is a fellow scrapbooker to boot!

Having sent Kennedy off to second grade this year, Mrs. R. has been on my mind. I requested Kennedy's current teacher because she reminded me of Mrs. R, and I pray that Kennedy's second grade year will be as special to her as mine was to me.

So, to honor Mrs. R. this week, I decided to make her a mini-album to thank her for so many things. I mailed it off today....she sometimes reads this blog, so I'm hoping that she doesn't read this and is surprised in a couple of days when it arrives at her home.

The quality of the photos isn't as nice as I would like, but just know that the album was much better in person...here is "Memories of 2nd Grade and Beyond."



















Is there a past teacher that you would like to thank? Who was your Mr. and Mrs. R?? Back-to-school time is a great time to express words of appreciation to someone who poured into your life. Take the opportunity today to write a letter, or create a mini-album, or make a phone call/send an e-mail. Teachers need to hear how life-changing their work is.



5 comments:

Heather said...

Nicci this is sooo awesome. What a great gift for Mrs. R. I'm sure she will treasure it forever!

Me! said...

nicci, that is too cute. :) my second grade teacher was one of my favorites, too. unfortunately, she was in a car accident driving to school one fall morning and died....i still think about her and how much i learned. :)

Lana said...

Thanks for reading Nic!! It was nice to read - haven't "seen" (online) you or seen (irl) you in awhile! :) Maybe send a prayer up for our area.

Greta said...

Nicole, you sure have been busy! Love all of your layouts and this album is fantastic! What a great gift and I'm sure she will really appreciate that you took the time to do this.

Celebrate Today said...

What a sweet thing and I'm sure she will treasure it. One of my favorite things EVER was a sweet letter one of my students wrote me!