Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Wait is Over, Sweet Boy.

Dear Hayden:

Buddy, you have waited for this day for a very long time. I remember the day that Kennedy got onto the bus for the first time to go to kindergarten. You were only 3 years old, and you thought it was the biggest case of injustice in the world that you couldn't ride, too. You cried and cried that you couldn't ride that big yellow school bus. That day, I tried to soothe you with the words "Before you know it, it will be your turn to ride that big bus to kindergarten."

Big Boy, today was your day. Yesterday, we drove our van to school for your open house. But to you, that wasn't the biggest event of this, your first week of kindergarten. The biggest event came this morning, when you got to have your first ride on that big bus to your first real day of kindergarten.

You could barely eat breakfast, you were so excited. You were out sitting on the front porch step even before you had your socks and shoes on.


You walked with Kennedy two houses down to the designated bus stop. When will it be here? Are we late? Did we already miss it? You were worried that we had missed the bus, despite my assurances that we were plenty early. We talked about the sound of the bus, and that we would hear its engines and brakes before it came around the bend. "It's coming, Mom! The bus!!" you exclaimed as the bus came around. "And the lights are on!!"
I could barely get you to stop and turn around to get a quick picture, you were SO excited to get on and get going.
And then, you turned around and climbed up those big steps. Wow, I didn't recall those steps looking quite so big before. And, you did not turn back. You climbed right on, said "Good Morning" to the bus driver, and found your seat behind Kennedy.
And you found a window seat and looked out at me waiting beside the bus (thank you for looking for me!). Look at that big smile! I KNOW that you will have an amazing ride to school and that your first "real day" of kindergarten will be equally fun and exciting. I think you will agree that this was worth the 2-year wait for this first big bus ride.
Today, you will meet new friends. You will check out the fish tank as you walk into the school, give Ms. Johnson a big smile and hug like you always do. You will greet Mrs. Haase and will be excited to see Austin and Jackson and Sam, your friends from preschool. You will read and sing and learn a little bit more about kindergarten. And all the while, I will be praying for you. Praying that you will feel comfortable and confident and excited. That you will know that school is a safe and wonderful place where you will be loved, and encouraged to grow, and challenged to learn. And I will be waiting to see you hop back off that bus at 12:05 and to hear about your bus ride and your morning at kindergarten.
This photo of your little hand waving as the big yellow bus pulled away says to me "Mom, I'm excited for this adventure! I'll be fine. In fact, I'll be awesome!" To tell you the truth, your excitement was so encouraging and reaffirming to me. I haven't even cried. You helped me to know in my heart that you are where you need to be. And that we have done our job to get you to this point.


Daddy and I love you, Sweet Boy. We are proud of the little boy you are and the person Jesus created you to be, and know that you will add so much joy and energy and curiosity to your kindergarten learning community. You are joy to us and you will be to so many at school, too. We believe in you.


Love,


Mommy


**EDITED** The big yellow bus did its job and ran both ways, bringing my boy back to me for lunch. He was smiling as big when he climbed off the bus as he was when he left. We (Mommy and Rube) missed you and are so happy to have you home! Over a big bowl of Lucky Charms (your chosen lunch), you shared your Allie Alligator hat and that you met a new friend, Caleb, and you asked what "a fit" means as in "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit." You ate part of your snack and had your first gym class (but couldn't remember the teacher's name) and succeeded in bringing your yellow take-home folder home with you. Tomorrow brings Day 3, the first day when I will put you on the bus but Mary will be here to meet you after school. Great job, Hayden. You are an awesome kindergartener!






2 comments:

Heather said...

This post is so sweet Nicci. It made me have tears in my eyes! I hope you print this out and maybe even create some sort of layout with it!

Have a great rest of the week and good luck Friday night!!
~H

Sonja said...

I think you need to know, about 7 out of 10 of your posts make me get teary eyed (that's 70%, see I am a math genius).

I love this post and I'm glad your boy had success at school:)