


As far as I can tell, there is nothing that says "Spring is coming" like that first thaw of the new year. The warmer air seems to touch a part of the soul that has lain dormant for many months. And with it come the inevitable cries that every parent simultaneously loves and dreads: The kids cries of "Mom and Dad, will you get our bikes out!" For us, that means sorting through a mess in the garage that has accumulated over the winter months, trying to get to the bikes and locate the helmets under all the random stuff.
But finally, after a quick safety inspection and refilling of the tires, they were off! Kennedy and Hayden must have ridden for nearly 2 hours today with our neighbor friends, loving the fresh air and warmer temperatures. As you can see, Hayden felt it warm enough to stay in his shorts after his ballgame, though paired with his bulky winter boots.
This brought to mind my childhood pleas to my parents to get my bike out when days like this hit. More often than not, because our bikes were stored in a back shed, I was disappointed when Dad said "not yet." But I do recall vividly that ache of just wanting to get back on my bike, feel the wind in my hair, and once again experience the freedom of rolling down the neighborhood sidewalks.
So, here's to more thawing days and many more bike rides.

1 comment:
Ahh, I love it! Hayden with the shorts and boots is funny:) I reminds me of my fellas.
Thank heaven we have spring to look forward to.
Post a Comment