Monday, September 10, 2007

RECIPES.

I have had a couple of requests for my salsa and guacamole recipes, so this posting is all about yummy fresh fixins' to accompany tortilla chips, burritos, and your favorite Mexican fare:

SALSA (this makes a big batch....plenty for canning and sharing)

20 lbs. of fresh garden tomatoes
3 cups chopped onions
1 Tablespoon of oregano
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup diced assorted mild peppers (red, yellow, orange, banana, whatever you have)
1/4 cup diced, fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup diced celery
1 to 4 diced jalapeƱo peppers, more if you like it HOT!
1 tablespoon salt
3 (6 oz) cans of tomato paste - if you like a richer thicker flavor and texture
1 cup 5% apple cider vinegar (or 2 cups of lemon juice)
Optional: 1 Tablespoon ground cumin

Place tomatoes in boiling pot of water; leave for 30-60 seconds; immerse into cold ice water, and skins will fall off.
Chop tomatoes, using a knife or a food processor.
Put all other ingredients into a pot
Add tomatoes.
LEt salsa simmer....you are not cooking it, just helping the flavors to meld.

This recipe should make 12-14 jars of salsa. I made extra and canned it, or you can make this huge batch and share it with neighbors (my neighbors have ranted and raved over this yummy salsa). To can, either call your mom for directions (!) or sterilize all jars and lids. Fill jars, cap tightly with covers and rings. Submerge jars in boiling water for 30 minutes, or until cap "pops". Remove jars from boiling water carefully, and allow to cool for 24 hours in room temperature conditions. Enjoy!

GUACAMOLE:


3-5 avocados

1 small chopped onion (I like to use red onion)

3 tsp chopped

Fresh chopped cilantro (to taste)

1 large chopped tomato (discard juice & seeds)

juice of 2 large limes

2-4 cloves of garlic

In a bowl, using the back of a wooden spoon, thoroughly mash chopped onions, jalapeno, and cilantro together with salt. Split the avacados lengthwise and remove pit. Scoop avacado from the skin. Place all ingredients in a large Ziploc bag. Mash with your hands--this is the fun part! Add tomatoes and lime juice. Mash a bit more. I like my guacamole chunkier, so I don't mash everything into a paste.....but you certainly can if you prefer a smoother texture. Cut one of the corners of the bag and squeeze into a serving bowl. SO, SO yummy and fresh!

1 comment:

Danielsmommy said...

Thanks for posting this!!
I'm going to make it this weekend!!
Our garden is still putting out tomatoes, and they are taking over my kitchen! I think I have enough to make 2 batches!
(and then still have more tomatoes!!)
~H