Over the past two years on this blog, I have dedicated the month of November to highlighting those areas, people, things, and blessings for which I am thankful. In each of my courses, I have challenged my students, in the opening minutes of our class meetings, to share with each other things for which they are thankful. It seem like such a simple effort to utter words of thanks...to take the time to verbally articulate those things for which we have gratitude.....but I have found it to be a very powerful influence over my thoughts and perceptions. In short, living by the discipline of seeing and thanking God and others helps me to see the blessings even more as I walk through my day-to-day life.
I am finding it hard to believe that it is November. Didn't school just start? My kids are now done with their first marking period, Halloween is done, and the stores have jumped full-force into the Christmas season. I really hate that Thanksgiving often gets glanced over as people move toward Christmas.
To me, Thanksgiving is about the soul. It is about celebrating a way of life. The discipline of thanking God and others. The cozy warmth that comes from turning inward to home and soul as the weather outside gets colder and darker. Thanksgiving highlights family and friends and home and harvest. I just love this month.
Today, on the first day of November, I am giving thanks for simple Saturdays at home. Cleaning the house. Spending time with the kids. Staying in pajamas until 4:00 pm. Getting an extra hour of sleep due to Daylight Savings Time. Reconnecting with the past. Looking forward to the future. Kisses from my kids and dog (husband, too!). Safe returns home. And so many more simple pleasures that are easily overlooked.
Thank you, Lord, for the rhythm of the week and how it leads up to the weekend. Thank you for Saturdays and that tomorrow brings a day of worship, fellowship with friends, and rest.
Saturday, November 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment