Tuesday, December 19, 2006

For the Love of Red.

My favorite color is RED. I'm not sure that I really realized that until the past couple of years, but I just love red, all it stands for, how it makes me feel, and the reactions it evokes from people. One of the things that I love about this time of year is that red is out in full force everywhere you look. I remember there was this one boy in my high school class who told me, each time I wore red, "You look so good in red." Red, to be short and sweet, just makes me happy. Red can represent so many different emotions, from anger to love to joy. Red is a strong color, an assertive hue that won't be overlooked. Red stands for the holidays. Red is the color of blood that gives us life and breath and hope. Red was likewise the color of the blood that our Savior, Jesus Christ, shed when he willingly hung and died on the cross for us. To offer us eternal life and hope. I love the strength and the life of red. Some of my other favorite red things.....Crisp apples in the fall. Old weathered barn wood. Gerbrera daisies. My favorite red shoes. Bright red nail polish (my favorite is OPI's "I'm Really not a Waitress" red). My husband's red t-shirts. My son's red-striped PJ's, especially after his bath. Cold kid cheeks coming in from playing in the snow. A field of poppies. Holly berries (real or fake). Red beach buckets on the white Lake Michigan shore. Red-and-white polka dots on anything. My red leather purse. My red Franklin planner cover. Red ink (except when I am grading). Red walls in my entryway. Red stripes scarves on snowmen made with my kids. Red socks and slippers. Red rubber balls from the playgrounds of my childhood. Red hand-painted mugs. Red ribbon in my little girl's hair and in my scrapbooks. Red scrapbook embellishments of any kind. My husband in his red Chevy truck. Red hearts at Valentine's day. Fresh red raspberries with a dollop of whipped cream. Red ornaments against the fresh pine backdrop of our Christmas tree. Red marker of the "I love you" note that my 5-year-old daughter wrote. The red patches on our bed quilt. Red spashes of paint in my kids' paintings. Red is definitely one of the joys of this season for me.

No comments: