Sunday, December 17, 2006

Top 10 Weekend Accomplishments.


OK, this is one of those pre-holiday weekends that was chock-full and that just flew by, but I was able to accomplish many things and check them off my to-do list. I was also able to get some much-needed time with family and spend some fun time with kids.

1. Stood in a line at the mall for over one hour to buy mall gift cards.....and ended up having to pay a 2.00 service fee per card. As if the mall doesn't make enough money at this time of year anyway......I definitely need to write a complaint letter for this one.

2. Purchased cool stocking stuffers for my kids at Cracker Barrel. You have to love the old-fashioned goodies that they have......things like Chicklets gum, big Tootsie Rolls, Chuckles, gold coin chocolates, Pop Rocks, Whistle Pops....so many fond memories from my own childhood. Especially of trips down town to Fred and Betty's drug store with quarters in my pocket to pick some candy treats. So cool to be able to share these same simple pleasures with my own kiddos....though they are a bit more expensive than that quarter that used to go so far at the 5-and-dime candy store!

3. Got a pretty cute family photo taken for our Christmas card. My sister, Kendra, took this photo, and I love its balance of fun and festivity. The framed look turned out really nice and I can't wait to get started (yes, STARTED!) on my cards tomorrow. Thanks, Kendie, for such an awesome photo.....this was a lot easier than trying to get a decent photo with the self-timer and tri-pod.

4. Directed the church children's Christmas program....pretty much organized chaos, but the kids were so adorable and were worshipping Jesus in their own way and with their own voice....what Christmas is all about. I am especially proud of my little girl who spoke her 2 lines loudly and clearly!

5. Hosted my family Christmas party at our home.....a great day with lots of appetizers (and ham for my Hubby!)....generous gifts......laughter.......a Nerf missile gun that ended up being the hit of my little boy's Christmas......and a game of UNO ATTACK that we NEVER thought would end. A nice celebration with my family.

6. Ordered my new project desk from Pier One for my scraproom. I have been saving for this desk for nearly 6 months, and I finally had enough to order it along with two stools. I love the spacious workspace and the shelves on each end......I'll be sure to post photos once it finds its way to my room.

7. Made Rachael Ray's 5-minute fudge....yes, it took five minutes, but it took nearly 30 minutes to try to chip it out of the pan (even though I did spray the pan prior to chilling). One batch down the drain (literally!) so we'll try again this week.

8. Took my kids to see "Happy Feet".....such a cute movie with a deeper message about environmental stewardship and accepting yourself for your individuality and letting your own unique light shine.

9. Updated my IPOD with Christmas songs....especially songs from the December album by George Winston. I love the peace of Winston's piano interpretations......conjures up images of winter scenes such as festive holiday celebrations, the peaceful manger scene, and a hauntingly cold winter night. Other favorites include Oh, Holy Night, Not that Far from Bethlehem, Silent Night, Away in a Manger, and other Christmas classics. I plan to listen to these tunes as I go through the week with the final preparations leading up to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

10. Made post #50 on Half-Baked and Firefly Free....WOW! This has become such an important expressive tool in my life, one that I look forward to each and every day. I am definitely planning on 50 more and beyond......

No comments: