Sunday, April 20, 2008

This Got Me.



It has been a long time since I sat in a worship service and just wept. This morning, I was engaged in deep and meaningful worship that my soul hungered for. And much of it was centered on this song.

YOu're the God of this City. Many people may think about Detroit or Atlanta or Baghdad or a city in Africa or New York or San Francisco when they listen to this. But that's not what God was speaking to me about.

He was speaking to me about my little city. In Michigan. A city that, from the outside, looks very blessed and "Christian" and middle-upper class and privileged and living the American dream.

But this city, in so many ways, has on a mask. And underneath that mask are a lot of hurting people. People desperate for God. People yearning for meaningful relationships. People sick of pursuing material wealth and feeling so empty and used up.

So many times, we look at outreach as happening "out there" and "overseas" but we forget the people in our own neighborhoods. They may even be "Christians" who are hard and need to experience God deeply and intimately. Right here in the "Bible Belt" of West Michigan.

Over the past months, I have developed a passion for the people of my city. For them (myself included) to live in authentic freedom and communion with God, the God of this city.

Why God is kindling this passion in me, I don't know yet. But it's there and it's real and I will seek to follow Him in the next step.

God is in this city. He's the God of this City. So, if you didn't watch the link, do it. And think about your city. And pray that God will burden you in reaching your city for Him. For greater things are yet to come, greater things are still to be done.....and He may be wanting to use you to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole - I love that God is stirring this in you. I am taking my own steps in this area. In fact, two years ago, I clearly felt that I was called to the city I live in. It's been an amazing gift to have that revelation. I like this song. Think I'll suggest we use it for our series in June called One Prayer. Check out oneprayer.com to learn more. I can't wait.