Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spring Break '08 ReCap.

Whew......is it possible for a whole week to pass by in just a day or two? That's sure what this past week feels like....it's gone before it even started. So, even though we were one of the unfortunate few who didn't get to head somewhere warm and sunny and beach-worthy, we sure did pack a lot of fun and adventure into the week. So here are just a few recaps and reminders and role-calls:
  • We really enjoyed our trip to the nature center, despite the crispy temps. We will be visiting this locale for hiking again soon, especially into the wetlands portion of the reserve. If you are in the greater GR area, or even within driving distance, be sure to check out the Blanford Nature Center.
  • Camping out in the basement is lots of fun....but not really conducive for a good night's sleep. We will do this again, but not on the night before I have to teach :)
  • Both kids have had on-and-off again fevers all week, but it appears like we are past it now. I am just praying that neither Matt nor I will get it in this final stretch of school.
  • T-ball practice starts tomorrow. Matt and I are again coaching Kennedy's team (Hayden will be the bat boy....when he's in the mood!) so it is always lots of fun and laughs.
  • I cropped all Saturday with my mother-in-law and sisters-in-law at a fundraiser crop. They had a contest for best pages....and I won first prize and three of the other remaining prizes. It was a real confidence booster, I must say. I am going to another fundraiser crop on Friday night at Scrap, Scribble and Stick, so if you are in GR....there are still spots available from 6-midnight, cropping to cure cancer.
  • My sister and her husband will have a pregnancy test on Tuesday to assess the results of the invitro attempt. Please be praying for them as they hear and accept the results, whatever God's will is.
  • It's cold here again but supposed to be into the 60's by mid-week. Hurray!
  • Thank you, Lord, for good news from our accountant regarding a tax refund.....we are really committing to building up a nestegg, and this will help us toward that goal.
  • Pray for us in some potential opportunities and big decisions that we are contemplating for our family. Sometimes, we get so comfortable where we are in life, and Matt and I are reassessing a lot of things right now regarding where God wants us to be at this point in our lives, marriage, working toward our individual and together-dreams, etc. It's good to stop and take account periodically, and we haven't done it in awhile. It's kind of like taking our "life temperature" to check for any signs of infection!
  • I am going with Kennedy and her class on an adventure camp outing tomorrow. This is their reward for reaching their school-wide reading goal. It should be a lot of fun to experience this camp with the kiddos.....I love being a part of their learning and growing and trying new things.
  • I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about the role that we play in the lives of others. It's so easy to say "I love others" but how is that played out? I have been reflecting on what it means to support one another and invest into the lives of each other. To build up and not tear down. To not give up on one another. To stand with others, regardless of the cost. Of my role to stand up and build up my fellow Christian, even when it may not be the most popular thing to do. I think so often, we focus on outreach and evangelism, of the unsaved (and rightfully so).....but we overlook needs of fellow Christians that are right in front of us in our churches, on our teams, in our small groups, in my classroom, with those who we have some type of relationships with whether personal or professional. It has brought out the philosophical side of me. It has caused me to examine how my claim of the name "Christian" brings with it a responsibility that I carry with me into every avenue of my life. Am I living that out to its fullest? Am I ALWAY cognizant of how my actions, my standing up for or against someone, my advocacy of fellow Christians, my support of others reflect (or not) the name of Christ? Am I in any way a stumbling block for others? Am I placing myself into roles and responsibilities that arouse potential conflicts of interests that may compromise my integrity and ethical commitments? This is a heavy responsibility, and it is one that God has been bringing to my mind and my heart lately.
  • Wow, that bullet point got a little long and deep. Not totally sure where that came from, except that we are honestly struggling a bit right now with feeling let down by some people who call themselves Christians.....some people who we thought were "on our side" but may not be after all......feeling like we can relate as never before with non-Christians who want nothing to do with Christianity because of how many Christians choose to treat others behind their back.....being reminded of the fact that while people will always let us down, God is never-changing and always our greatest Advocate.........now this bullet is getting a little long, so I"ll stop here.......I'm sure there'll be more on this later.
  • Please pray for the Westtrate family, friends of ours who lost their home in a house fire last week. Thankfully, Angela and her twin 5-year-old girls escaped the house unharmed (her husband, Todd, was out of town)...Praise God! But they lost everything and have obviously been through a very difficult experience emotionally. Pray for God's providence and comfort and peace as they seek to rebuild and recover.
  • Thanks to my sister-in-law, Meegan, for helping out with Hayden tomorrow. It's amazing to have a family where you can help and support each other in so many ways.
  • Happy Birthday today to my brother, Mitch, who is in his late 20's. I lost track of exactly how old! In this past year, he became a daddy to sweet little Samantha Jay, and it has been so fun to see him love on her and embrace this new role. Happy Birthday!
  • Well, time to head to the grocery store to get goods for tomorrow's sack lunches........Enjoy your Sunday evening, and hug those you love extra-tight tonight!

3 comments:

Danielsmommy said...

Nicci,
Sounds like you guys had an amazing spring break. They do go fast!!
That bulletin was long, but had a great message., It's amazing how as you pray, Gods message is given to you through the most interesting places.
Have a great week
H

Greta said...

What a great read today - definitely thought provoking! I'll be thinking of you, your family, and your friends and hope that everything works out and that you'll all have the strength to continue on no matter what!

Christine said...

You always inspire me - and I know you touch so many of the lives around you :) I will be praying for good news for your sister this week. Hope the kids are feeling better, and glad you had a fun - albeit fast spring break!