Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Big Red Box.

When I heard the doorbell ring and Ruby give a little bark today mid-afternoon, I figured that it was the Oriental Trading delivery of the Speed Racer party supplies for Hayden's birthday party tomorrow. I breathed a sigh of relief that it had apparently arrived on time, just in time.

But when I went to the front porch, it was a HUGE box. I thought that the company could certainly do better with not wasting shipping materials. Then I saw the words "Red Envelope" along the bottom of the box, and I thought, "Hmmmmm, I didn't know that Red Envelope and Oriental Trading were operated by the same parent company??"

I hauled the HUGE box inside, and opened the outer box, and then among the HUGE pile of packing paper, there it was........that tell-tale red box tied immaculately with a white ribbon. The one that any woman who loves Red Envelope knows immediately.

To tell you the truth, I was baffled. Did my husband actually order something and have it sent to me? Did I have a secret admirer? My husband came into the room and was equally baffled...and a tad bit skeptical as well, I must say, because he immediately said, "I want to read the card"....you have to love those little displays of protection that say "I feel a bit threatened here, and she's mine."

So after I shot a couple of photos (of course), I opened the card:
And started to cry. This was just the sweetest gesture from a friend of mine who I met through this amazing art of scrapbooking, Sonja. Sonja is one of those people whose heart and soul are deep and who just makes people feel good and right and cared for. And Sonja, who, by the way, is going to give birth ANY MINUTE NOW to her fourth son....took the time and care to send me a gorgeous gift for my birthday.

My heart was warm all day due to this kind and unexpected gesture. I'm usually pretty good at predicting what people will get me for gifts or "planting ideas" in my husband's head when it comes to gift-giving occasions, so to tell you the truth, I'm not surprised that often. But this was truly, TRULY an unexpected surprise. I touched me deeply that Sonja, whom I have only known for a year, who is going to give birth SERIOUSLY ANY MINUTE, took the time for this amazing gesture of kindness.

It really made me remember that we often don't know how our acts of kindness will change someone's day or brighten someone's week. It reminded me that I need to take more time and use more creativity on a regular basis to exhibit random acts of kindness.

And it reminded me what an amazing art scrapbooking is. The amazing women with whom I have connected as we create together and share important memories with one another. Last week, I received a gorgeous handmade card from another scrap friend, Julie, and it made my day to know that she took time to design, make, and send me a card. And a message today from Heather, another scrap friend, just to say, "Hey, Happy Birthday, have a great day!" What an amazing group of women, artists, and moms I have had the privilege of getting to know, and I thank each of you for making my days that much more special and memorable.

So, Sonja and Julie and Heather....thanks for the birthday surprises. They touched my heart in a deep way, and I feel privileged to call you wonderful women my friends.

And have you ever seen happier toes in your life? (Sonja got me these wonderful spa slippers from Red Envelope....seriously the most comfy things I have ever had on my feet!).
And by the way, for those of you who are wondering about the Speed Racer supplies...they never came. So I called, and they screwed up, and they will be here on Thursday. And my party is tomorrow, WEDNESDAY. So, I had to make a frantic trip to Party City tonight......grrrrrrr......but at least my feet feel great after all the crazy last-minute running around!

4 comments:

Greta said...

I am so glad to hear that you had a great birthday! You deserve it all! Sonja sure is one special friend, isn't she? :) I feel like a goober for not even remembering it was your birthday. But, because of the wonderful person you are, I know you won't hold it against me. Thank you for that. ;)

Heather said...

I'm so glad you had a great day! I hope Hayden's Birthday party went well, Daniel can't wait to come down and hang out with him.
Hopefully we can do it soon!
Take care and be blessed!!!
~H

Lori said...

That Sonja, could she be any sweeter?? She truly is a wonderful lady!!

I somehow must have missed you had a birthday, so Happy Birthday, I hope it was wonderful!!

Celebrate Today said...

Hope it was a beautiful day for you! You deserve lots of pampering for all you do!