Saturday, November 04, 2006

November Snow

Along with November in our little part of West Michigan has come our first real dusting of snow, maybe a quarter-inch. Of course, both kids have outgrown their boots and winter coats from last year. This means that Hayden has been wearing Kennedy's purple butterfly boots from last year, while Kennedy has been having to stay on the sidewalk during recess (to her great, great dismay) because she didn't have any boots that fit. So, we made a trek to Sears on Thursday night, and Kennedy picked out a new Lands End coat, bright pink boots, hat/mittens/scarf, and we ordered the matching snowpants. It looks like this year's theme is pink and furry, because she chose boots with fur trim along with the hat/mittens/scarf with furry trim...I must say that she looked absolutely precious as she "tried out" her new winter clothes in the front yard. No more staying on the sidewalk for her! I love my kids' reactions to snow....to them, it is magic and fun and clarity and freedom. They love seeing how their footprints leave tracks in the snow, and they have been making winding trails through the front yard, laughing, running, and having so much fun. Now Kennedy is looking forward to her first official "snow day" where she gets to stay home from school and play out in the snow all day long. I tell her stories about snow days we had growing up in Northern Michigan....the joy of hearing the TV announcer call our your school.....spending the mornings lounging and watching cartoons.......the day of freedom and play that stretched before us, playing outside with neighbor kids.....she loves school, as I did, but there is just something absolutely wonderful about a snow day.

My third letter of thanks is going out to my best friend from high school, Julie (Wyma) Kitson. Basically, from the time we started kindergarten to the time we graduated from high school, Julie and I were inseparable. Sure, we had our ups and downs as any adolescent friendship does, but when I think back to growing up and those who influenced me, Julie is one of those friends who will always be in my heart. Special memories that I have include summer days swimming in their family pool; organizing all sorts of neighborhood clubs so we could "teach" and "evangelize" the other kids in the neighborhood (oh my!); playing softball, basketball and volleyball together; sleep overs; watching scary movies and "The Incredible Hulk" at her house on Friday nights (my parents wouldn't let us watch them....sorry, Mom and Dad); having to walk home in the dark after watching those scary movies (oh my!!); playing house and Glamour Dolls and so many other imaginative games; playing Ms. Pac Man over many pizza dinners at Kelly's Restaurant; showing each other new school clothes, Christmas gifts, etc.; walking to school together; being cross-guards together. The list goes one. Julie and I took very different paths after high school, as she was married quite soon while I spent nearly 9 years in college and graduate school before getting married and starting a family; but, we have always maintained a connection of the heart. I am thankful to Julie for the longevity of our friendship; even now, when we get together when I visit McBain, we talk as if we lived next door to each other. We share our experiences of being a wife and mother, and we just connect. We share a love for taking photos and making scrapbooks to celebrate our lives and families. She now is married with four beautiful children, and she is a really wonderful Mom who is entirely devoted to her family. I am thankful for that devotion, for her faithfulness, and for the part that she plays in the memories that I have of my growing-up years. Thanks, Julie, for always being a part of my life and heart.

No comments: