Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Wednesday Thoughts

Wednesday. The day that sometimes loses its identity....halfway to Friday. "The hump." Wednesday in our family tends to be a day of odds and ends....finishing up the chores that didn't get done on Monday (which tends to be my heaviest chore and to-do day at home). Recovering from my full day of university work from Tuesday. Thinking about preparations for the weekend. This weekend, I am eagerly looking forward to a day of scrapbooking with my sister-in-laws and mother-in-law on Saturday; it's been a long time since I've gotten any scrapping time, and I will get lots of time the next two weekends. That is my soul time. I plan to make one of those pages the first page that I will post to this blog.....my scanner is not hooked up at the moment, so once I get my scrap room reassembled after the painting (hopefully tonight's project!), I will get it hooked up and ready to use. Today, Hayden and I have been just hanging out, enjoying each other and playing. We also spent part of the morning dancing to this really upbeat song called "Big House." It goes something like this "Come and go with me, to my Father's House. Come and go with me, to...my....Father's....House. It's a BIG BIG house, with lots and lots of rooms. A BIG BIG table, with lots and lots of food. A BIG BIG yard, where we can play football.....TOUCHDOWN! A BIG BIG house, it's my Father's house." Hayden loves it because it's high energy and involves a football......he sings to the top of his lungs and does all the motions...what a kid! He truly is the ZEST in my life! This morning, after the big election day, I feel this strange sense of let down. I'm so happy that the commercials are done and the "vote for me" phone calls have stopped, but I have a strange sense of loss. Yes, I voted and exercised my right and privilege; but part of me is sad that there are many people out there who put their hearts, souls, and savings into these campaigns, and must be so disappointed today. I know, I know.....that is all part of the risk and the democratic process......but I can't help but feel for the candidates who have spent the past months and years of their lives chasing this dream, which has now, at least for a time, ended. BUT, it does remind me that to follow dreams opens us up the risk of loss, of failure. At least for a time. And then the hurt dulls, and we resume the move toward our dreams. To step out toward a dream, and to pursue it with all your heart, that is one of the great soul-joys of life.

My note of thanks for today goes to the principal of my daughter's elementary school, Ms. Barb Johnson. I have not know Ms. Johnson for long, but she has already played a key role in Kennedy's learning experience. She is one of those people who just exudes a love for kids and a deep love for learning and inquiry. She encourages the kids to "wonder" deeply about the world, and has daily "Wonderings" where she poses challenging questions and urges kids to seek the answers....to inquire....to learn.....to become excited about their lives. I had the opportunity to work on some cases last year with Ms. Johnson when I was doing some evaluations at the school. Unmistakeably clear was her passion for kids and nurturing them to reach their full potential as learners and as people. This thanks goes to you, Ms. Johnson, for the role you play in the learning and development of my daughter and all the fortunate children at Brown Elementary School.

No comments: