Monday, November 06, 2006

On Sundays....I Breathe.

I love Sundays. I get to worship at church with my family. I get to worship with my children in the CompassKIDS! program at our church, and there is simply nothing more beautiful than seeing my children having fun, praising our awesome God, and singing and dancing like they and God were the only ones in the room. After church, I just get to be, really BE, with my family at our home. Not too long ago, I viewed Sundays as the day to catch up with what I didn't get done on the other six days. The day to get a headstart on Monday's tasks. The day to travel, to shop, to run around. But my views on Sundays have transformed drastically in the past few months. As a busy mom, wife, and professor, I JUST NEED TIME TO BREATHE. Spiritually, I mean. Our God modeled for us the importance of taking a time of rest each week, and when we take Sundays for breathing and resting, we please Him and nourish ourselves to face the challenges and demands of the rest of the week. So I have made the conscious effort to keep Sundays sacred...no more household tasks (the laundry is still there Monday morning, believe me!)....no more grading......no more traveling here and there every single weekend......Sundays are for lounging, for resting, for walking in the woods with Matt and th kids, for reading books to and with my kids, for just BEING...no guilt, no "I should be...."......just following the model of our God and getting the fresh air He knows we so desperately need. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Ah, God is good! Sundays are a gift. Thank you, God, for the fresh, invigorating, soul-refreshing air of Sundays.

No comments: