Tuesday, July 08, 2008

From the Library.

You don't know what you've got...'til it's gone! I FINALLY found a fast and secure wireless port so that I can update and add some photos to my post. Wow, do I take for granted how wonderful it is to just pull up Internet Explorer whenever I need information.....I am posting from the Benzie County Library in beautiful Frankfort, Michigan. I have a couple of loads of laundry going at the Laudromat down the street, so I decided to sneak over here and post. Now....being in a laundromat again brings back many "interesting" memories of college days and the interesting people you can observe/meet at the laundromat, so I'm thinking that I definitely need to do a post about my experiences in laundromats.....

But, for now, I wanted to update with some photos from the Mackinac Island leg of our trip. These will be presented somewhat randomly, as I don't have a lot of time to organize them, but I hope you enjoy nonetheless:

Hayden couldn't resist blowing some of the dead dandelion seeds around....(BTW, Hayden turned 5 yesterday, so I will post those photos and stories later in the week...Happy Birthday, my no-longer-preschool boy!):
An inspiring row of bikes at one of the bike shops on Main Street:
Hayden getting up-close, personal and cross-eyed with a bug friend (this photo makes me chuckle!):
Kennedy looking for fossils and finding a few on the beach as we took a break from our bike ride around the entire island. We made it all 8 miles...the kids were real troopers with only the occasional complaint!
A nice guy took our family photo with the bridge in the background. He must have taken pity on me trying to run back and forth to the timer-camera that I had balanced precariously on my bike seat:
This view struck me. It is from inside the fort, looking down to the harbor where the American flag was flying. Pretty powerful.
The kids exploring on the upper hills of the island:
We enjoyed this yummy meal, catered by the Grand Hotel, during the Picnic Americana on the 4th of July at Fort Mackinac. It was suberb and so pretty to boot! What a cool experience....if you can ever make it up here on the 4th, I highly recommend it....the $41.50 per-person pricetag was well worth it.

The kids at the fort overlooking the harbor on the 4th of July:
We were so hot after our 8-mile bikeride that the kids waded out into the shallow water by our resort. I snapped this priceless photo:
Kennedy and I enjoying a cup of coffee and a good read at sunset....she reading "Harry Potter-Book 6" and me "Pillars of the Earth." This would have been a perfect reading spot if it wasn't for the 4,000,000 mosquitos that joined us:
Watching fireworks on the boardwalk at Mackinac Island...you could see the fireworks from Mackinac City across the Straights, too, as well as some from the Cheboygan area, so it was like see fireworks from all sides. Beautiful and another must-see.
Hayden wading into the water and throwing rocks at the half-way point of our around-the-island bike trek. This was after I said, "You can wade in, but don't get all wet, because we still have 4 miles to ride." Yeah, right Mom.
Kennedy exploring by the shore. I love her candid look in this shot.

Some cool weeds that were growing all over the island:
A sailboat that I shot just because it look so refreshing:
So, there you have it....a few of the details of our trip so far. I hope to post again tomorrow regarding our time in Franfort so far....until then, I hope you are enjoying July....it feels like it is zooming by already......


2 comments:

Sonja said...

oh Nicole, your pictures almost bring tears to my eyes, they are so beautiful. If you every get bored with your every day life (as if) you could most definitely make it in the photography world. Amazing shots...I love them and I'm glad you are enjoying all Northern Michigan has to offer:)

Celebrate Today said...

beautiful, beautiful photos! hope that you continue to enjoy your trip!