Thursday, July 03, 2008

Hello from Beautiful Mackinac Island.

I am writing before 8:00 am from the terrace of the small resort cafe here at Mission Point Resort on stunning Mackinac Island. Next to my computer is my camera and a delicious Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha. I am all too aware of the medley of sounds around me, sounds that are distinct to this amazing place. The clip-clop of Belgians' hooves on the brick-paved paths as they deliver the morning produce that came off the ship just minutes ago. Wagons full of watermelon, summer squash, sweet corn, and so many more of nature's summer bounty. The call of seagulls scavenging for their breakfast, and te one who keeps perching next to my table hoping to get a crumb of my muffin. The clink of dishes inside as the hustle-and-bustle has begun in the resort kitchen, many people from all over the world readying for the day. The distant call of a ship's horn as they arrive in the harbor. I am one of the only ones up and out right now, save for the sporadic (crazy) runner that happens by on the path. I am overlooking a spattering of white Adironcack chairs scattered in groupings of 2 and 4 across the expansive lawn that leads to the rocky edge of Lake Huron. It is truly beautiful.

OK, enough for my attempt at literary description. We arrived on Mackinac Island yesterday late afternoon and are fresh from a good night's sleep to welcome our first full day on the island. The kids and Matt are still tucked cozily into bed, but I decided to get out early and see if I could find a stronger signal to update this blog. After taking the ferry over from Mackinac City (this was Hayden's favorite part!), we rode our bikes to the resort, got checked in, and had dinner. I must say that the dinner was quite disappointing, but I did feel compassion for our waiter who was a young "lad" who barely spoke English, couldn't multi-task to save his life, and had every table a bit miffed with his attempt at service. But, I had some mercy for him. One of the beautiful things about the island is that they employ people from all over the world....so far, we have encountered people from Belgum, the Phillipines, the Netherlands, and Jamaica, all in less than 20 hours here. You hear a splendid cacophony of different languages wherever you go. I even just saw a large Amish family ride by on bikes, in their traditional clothing, awing over the resort and commenting on Starbucks.

I just had to chuckle....the delivery wagon just came back by for the second time since I've been sitting here....but no fresh produce this time. This time around, his load included a huge selection of....let's see, Bud Light, several kegs, many different cartons of wines, wine coolers.....I guess you have to keep the guests happy!

Today is Fourth of July, and I cannot think of a better place to spend it than here on the Island. There are so many US flags flying wherever you look, the historic fort holds a special picnic on the lawn, and we've heard that from the water, you can see the fireworks from at least 4-5 surrounding towns. The history that this island holds, and the Fourths of years past, is a beautiful and inspiring thing. To think of American soldiers fighting to secure this land from the rule of others, to preserve our freedom and rights to worship and pursue dreams and live without fear. That is what being on this island, in this place, means to me today on July 4, 2008.

I have decided that today, while we are out and about, I'm going to honor the 4th of July by photographing the US flags that I see today. But I just realized that I left my extra camera battery and charger in the car, so our first stop will be at the camera shop for a new battery. I wonder how much that will set me back in tourist dollars?

I will try again to post some photos later. So far, the computer is not allowing me to for some reason. Have a blessed and inspiring Fourth of July...and don't forget to do a few sparklers!

4 comments:

Greta said...

I can't wait to see photos!! Oh, how I love Mackinac Island. I actually just mentioned on my blog the other day that riding tandems on the Island is my favorite thing to do. :) I'm sure spending the 4th there is amazing - I admit, I'm kinda jealous. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!! Happy Independence Day!

Danielsmommy said...

Hope you guys are having a great day! Ruby is nestled in with me on the couch and at the moment is sound asleep!

Happy 4th!!!

Lori said...

I can't wait to see all of your flag photos!!!! Glad you are having a wonderful vacation!!!!

I just found out I have internet connection at the campground!!!

Sonja said...

I'm soooo excited to see the photos too (esp. from your eye:) I'm glad you're having fun!