
As mentioned in yesterday's post, today was the big
100th DAY OF KINDERGARTEN!

Of course, I had to join in with the festivities and snap lots of pictures of the day's events. Highlights of the day included writing a "100 story", playing games surrounding the theme of 100, making a snack mix with 100 different types of ingredients (well, not really 100, but lots of variety!), and the highlight of the day--making and wearing these crazy, funky fruity 100 hats out of pipe cleaners and Fruit Loops. Even the school principal made and donned a fruity hat! It was a lot of fun to see the kids' excitement and to see them working together so well. I am so proud of my daughter for how she works and how she helps those around her....it just warmed my heart to see her interact with her friends. It has been so amazing to witness these kids' grow in their learning and work habits in such a relatively short period of time. Here is where I get on my soapbox about the importance of parental involvement in children's school experience--parents need to know what is going on in their school and with their child's individual, unique learning experience. Children thrive when there is continuity and integration between home and school; they suffer when the two are treated as separate, non-related entities. Kennedy loves to have me at school--she brightens up when I enter the room. I love not only being involved in her school experience but also being involved with her little friends as they learn and grow--I am not only excited about the learning and development that I see in her, but I get to be involved in the growth of each person in her class, and that is so rewarding and a privilege to see. Even one little hour per week can make all the difference. Research overwhelmingly shows that parental involvement is critical--ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL--to children's academic and social success. So, 100 day is important but every day is an opportunity to share in your child's at-school world. Just do it!
The highlight of Hayden's day was painting! Yes, anything that involves making a potential mess and he is there, 100%! He took the task very seriously and created a "vawentine howt" for me....precious. We have seen so much growth in him in this short month that he has been in school. He LOVES to go to school, especially looking forward to the part where he gets to bring show-and-tell items from home. Each school night, he fills his backpack with his most cherished treasures--dinosaurs, his binoculars, his pirate telescope, a little baby phone that he played with when he was a baby--so many treasures get stored lovingly in his backpack. When he gets to school, he hangs his coat up but has to keep his backpack on until he is good and ready to take it off. He is SO attached to that little backpack--I even shot a photo of him the other day sitting on the potty with nothing on--buck naked--except for his yellow school bus backpack. I won't share that one here but it will definitely be one to pull out in a few years! Hayden is starting to write the "H" and "A" in his name and now will sit and color or paint for more than a few minutes.....we are so proud of the maturity and engagement he has shown. He brings a lot of enthusiasm and energy to his classroom, and we couldn't be more excited about his introduction to formal schooling.

Well, tomorrow is a big day........my 100th post on Half-Baked and Firefly Free. So, my plan for tomorrow is to share 100 tid-bits, thoughts, mottos, quotes, etc. that I feel are central to my life. So, I'd better get thinking about that......now we are off to enjoy some fish for dinner. Blessed Friday night.....watch a good movie and cuddle close to those you love.....and don't forget to say "I love you!"
No comments:
Post a Comment