Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Creative Day.

This is another favorite red piece that I have in our kitchen. It is a antique red stoneware pitcher that I use to hold this collection of paper sunflowers and random red flowers. This stoneware sits in my kitchen window right behind my sink, so I see it when I do dishes. Surrounding the stoneware are some of my other favorites, things that make the mundane task of washing dishes a bit more pallatable. Let's see....there is that adorable snowman tile that Kennedy made and gave me for Christmas....this is a definite "keep it forever" project. And that little pink stone.....Kennedy and I have this thing about pink stones. We always look for them and collect them when we are at the beach or out for walks. This is one of the very first stones that she found and gave me, when she was right around 2 years old. Such precious, precious memories are held in this stone. Kennedy painted the little pig when she was three....we were at a birthday party at a paint-your-own-pottery shop, and I just love how here work turned out. And now, I am seeing that I need to get some of Hayden's creations in this space! The hanging family plaque was given to us by a very special family who was in our small group at our previous church....it reminds me of the importance of family and of families connecting with other families....thanks, Brad and Toni!













We spent a good bit of time just creating today....so fun and good for the soul. I made this simple little heart out of cardstock, a Heidi Swapp flower and heart, and some simple hanging ribbon stapled on both sides. So simple yet such a fun way to add a splash of red and love to our home.














Kennedy also came up with a really cool project idea....she wanted to make heart puzzles and then piece them back together like heart quilts. How her mind works! So, she picked five pieces of patterned paper out of my collection--mostly pink, of course--and we cut them apart into various shapes, then worked at piecing them together like puzzles. So cool! She called hers "Broken Heart"--she is really into titling her art, which I love, because it represents her pride and ownership of her creative work--and I called mine "Fabric of my Heart." I just love creating with my kids and don't even mind the huge mess that is typically left after our creative sessions. I even pulled out my sewing machine and was going to stitch around the hearts for yet another homespun touch; however, silly me, I am all out of thread so that will have to wait for another day.













We even had a creative lunch today--Make-Your-Own-Pizza! The kids love it when I buy these little Boboli crusts and give them toppings to make their own lunch. As you can see, they each approach the task quite differently--Hayden thought the pizza needed eyes and a nose, while Kennedy was very careful to spread her sauce evenly across every centimeter of the crust--but they both really enjoyed this activity. They love spreading the sauce, sprinkling the mozzerella and then the grated parmesan.....they usually go for the simple just-cheese approach. Then they like watching through the oven door (of our new oven!) and can hardly wait for their yummy and handmade lunch. They both gobbled them down, so it was an obvious hit. It is fun and so important, from my perspective, to involve kids in the kitchen--again, realizing that there will be a bit more mess than usual. Little ones really benefit from learning about the importance of nutrition and enjoying eating and the connection that comes in the kitchen and over meals. This is a good precursor to the Valentine Cookie baking to come this weekend.......Bon appetit. Now, I wonder how you say that in Spanish?

No comments: