Monday, August 20, 2007

Domestic Pleasures.


Today, on a rainy Monday in mid-August, I am feeling rather.......domestic. Now those who have known me through my teen and college years know that I was academically oriented....YES. Athetically talented.....not bad. But domestic kitchen affairs.....well, not exactly a strong area of interest or giftedness. Don't get me wrong.....I love decorating and choosing colors and crafty stuff, but in the kitchen, I would rather be upacking the take-out than cooking. Until recently.....in large part thanks to the likes of Rachael Ray and other Food Network artists, I have taken a new interest in cooking and culinary pursuits as an art. I value being creative in all aspects of my life, and I am beginning to realize that cooking and meals are no exception.

So today, I collected a batch of tomatoes and peppers from our garden. Yes, we actually grew the produce ourselves. And I cut a batch of fresh cilantro from the herbs that I have in my windowsill....yes, I grew the cilantro. And I made a batch of fresh salsa. And I really enjoyed the process, the MANY STEPS OF THE PROCESS. And I learned so many skills.....like to take skins off tomatoes, dip them first in boiling water and then in ice water and the skins just fall off. And how to can without a pressure cooker. I actually increased my domestic repertoire of skills tolday. And I feel very good and accomplished.
So tonight, I have a kitchen counter full of fresh jars of salsa cooling. We had nachos and tacos with fresh salsa and my famous homemade guacamole for dinner. And I feel like a domestic success. yes, creativity comes in many forms, and the kitchen is no exception.
Next, apple season.....now I wonder what delicious and enticing apple dishes I can make with my new domestic skills?




1 comment:

Danielsmommy said...

Yum-O!!
I love making Salsa!
I'm with you, the best thing I make for dinner is reservations!
However, every once in a while I LOVE to whip something up!
Saturday a group of are scrapping at Pages, can you join us?
Let me know!!
~H