This is the "rated G" version of the scene at our house tonight, on the eve of Kennedy's sixth birthday:

I was in the house and the kids were supposedly out jumping on the tramp while I prepared dinner. Then, I just happened to glance out the window and saw streaks of VERY WHITE SKIN as my two precious kiddos streaked through the backyard BUCK NAKED. They had the hose going and were just have a fine time frolicking in the water. Giggling. Smiling. Just plain enjoying life.
My first thought: Oh my word! What will the neighbors think?
But, then I just had to chuckle and smile. Oh, the innocence that they have. To think nothing of shedding their clothes to feel the cool water on their bare skin on a near-100-degree day.
Now, there is certainly a time for modesty even when you are 4 and 6, so after letting them run for a few more minutes, I called them in and helped them get their swimsuits on.
Sweet Girl, you are turning 6 tomorrow, and I hope that you retain so much of this innocence and wonder and abandon that you showed me today. May you always be free from worry about others' expectations or what the world says you need to be or what you need to do; may you always keep your eyes firmly on Christ to define who you are and what you need to become. I love you, thank the Lord for each and every day He allows us to have with you as our precious girl, and hope you have a fun and magical birthday........let's just stay dressed when the party guests get here, OK?

No comments:
Post a Comment