Thursday, August 09, 2007

White Belts.

For the past year, my daughter, Kennedy, has expressed an interest in karate. "When can we take karate lessons, Mom?" I must have heard 100 times. So, this week, we registered both of the kids in the PAK karate school. Today, they received their white karate uniforms and their very first belt, the white belt. Basically, Master Hammond, the instructor, serves as a mentor and commits to taking the kids all the way through to their black belts. So far, we are very impressed with the program, particularly the discpline, respect, and structure that is expected. All of the kids address Master Hammond as "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir" and are expected to refrain from talking unless spoken to.....OK, so this last part is a bit challenging for Hayden, but we have already seen progress. Kennedy has already made so much growth in her balance and kicks in only 2 sessions, and she is so excited to have her official uniform and belt. It is definitely a sacrifice for schedules (they meet 2 times per week) and financially, but I really think the dividends for the kids' confidence and self-discipline will be priceless. As long as they don't practice their kicks on the neighbor kids or each other or US, we'll be all set!


1 comment:

Kathy said...

I am so glad you found my blog so I could find yours! Yours is very cool! I will definately be back to check up on your guys. Your pics are priceless! I am glad I got the chance to see you at the beach this summer so we could do a quick catch up.
Kathy