GOD WORKS IN THE MIDST OF TRAGEDY.
I have become more and more convinced of this over the past two weeks. Today, our little town of Byron Center is in the newspaper again. This time, one of our high school teachers has been accused of sexually inappropriate actions involving a high school student. This on the heels of the murder-suicide involving two of our teachers and our personal friends; a car accident involving four high school students, two of whom were killed; a fire at an historic meat market in town; another car accident yesterday which apparently claimed another life. We are a town that is broken and trying to pull together to start the healing. Asking questions. Searching, sometimes in despair, for answers. What happens to cause a wonderful, thriving, seemingly happy young man who was so caring and wonderful with children and adults alike to murder his girlfriend and then commit suicide? How does a teenage boy involved in a car accident that resulted in the death of his two friends--though in no way through his own fault--go into a new school year carrying the guilt and questions? How does a father--who is also a principal--face a school full of kids when his own precious teenage daughter is dead and will never set foot in a school or her home again?
Tragedy and loss is part of the human experience. I say that with fear and a bit of trepidation, because I know that I have not experienced much death and loss in my life compared to some. And I know that time will inevitably change that.
Loss and death are painful. But in the last few weeks, another aspect of tragedy has shown itself real in our family and community. Loss has this striking way of drawing us close, shifting perspective back where it needs to be. A community pulls together to get the meat market back in business only a day after the fire. Parents find healing in the concern and caring shown by so many. A father reconsiders his need to bring his children to church on Sunday, even though his wife works weekends and it takes lots of extra effort. Many give their lives to Christ, the only True Comfort. Many who made previous life commitments to Christ renew that commitment to be salt and light to the lost.
God uses tragedy to change us. To shape us. To soften our hearts, break our wills, and lead us closer to Him. He uses tragedy for His glory, even when it seems so impossible. The possibility of someone I love dying scares me to my core. When I even dare let my mind wander to the question of what it must be like to lose your own husband or parent or, God forbid, one of my own children......I cannot even fathom. But God gives us a Hope and Promises that He will walk with us and He works together every circumstance for our good and His glory.
When I get to heaven, I am looking forward to seeing God's plan for how this string of events and losses here are part of His bigger plan. For now, we are pulling together and looking to Him for the Hope and Strength and Love to move ahead and reach others for Him.
Friday, August 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
hi nicole - i enjoyed reading this one greatly - in light of all that has happened in our own backyard recently this is extremely helpful and well written.
Post a Comment