Friday, October 10, 2008

10 on the 10th: October.

One month has passed since I made a public commitment, here on my blog, to start changing my lifestyle in order to promote health and wellness. It has been a busy month for sure, with the kids starting school and my academic year getting into full swing and, of course, football season which seems to consume our family every fall. Nevertheless, I feel that I have been successful in changing some habits and some attitudes in the process. So here are 10 changes and things I have learned this month:

1) I have been successful in the past at losing weight. I have lost over 80 pounds at two past times in my life, and gradually, through having kids and just the stress of life, have put on weight again. But I'm approaching this very differently this time.....I did not commit cold-turkey to a drastic "DIET" or exercise program. Rather, I am making small and gradual changes that I feel will be maintainable for the long term.

2) Spinach: It is amazing to me how this little nutrition-packed food can be slipped into most recipes without notice. I have shredded it to put into soups, meatloaf, pastas, and other recipes. It can't really be tasted, but it certainly ups the folic acid and other nutritional values of what we eat. I feel so wonderfully sneaky in doing this to my family!

3) Walking: No, I haven't walked every single day this month. But I have started walking again, starting with one mile and working up to about 3. I walk in the mornings usually, sometimes take Rube (lab) with me, and always start my walk with my iPod playing "Give me Jesus." It helps me start out on the right foot, literally and figuratively. Now, if anyone has a major cure for shin splints out there, I would be all set....I have always struggled with this pain through my ball days of high school and college, and still have not found the magical cure.

4) Water: I have been more conscious about my water intake. While I am still not getting to my goal of 100 ounces per day, I am making progress for sure.

5) I have lost over 10 pounds this month, and can feel the difference in my favorite jeans. I also have a shirt on today that I couldn't wear one month ago because the buttons gapped in the chest....I know, some of you wish you had that problem (!), but I have never had a shortage in that area, either before or after nursing 2 kids :)

6) Restaurant Selections: I am overall making healthier choices, but there is nothing that I have really cut out of my nutritional plan completely. If I feel like fried calamari, then I order it but just pair it with a salad with vinegarette and then make a ligher choice for the next meal.

7) Forgiving Myself: A couple of days, I made bad food choices. And, instead of just throwing it all out the window and saying to myself "I might as well eat what I want and get started again on Monday", I got right back on track with the next meal. This makes me feel so much more in control and focused.

8) Rather than focusing on self-control, I am giving this journey to God literally each and every day. I can't do this on my own, I need God to continue transforming my heart and mind. Instead of fighting to keep control, I am totally giving up control.

9) Portion control: Allowing myself one healthy serving and not going back for seconds. Most times, I am more than satisfied with one serving, and I found that going back for seconds is often just out of habit.

10) Doing it together! I am so thrilled with all of you who have jumped on the wagon to encouraging each other and sharing successes and challenges. That has been probably the number one advantage of this process, and I'm so glad we're in it together! I would love to hear what you are all doing, so be sure to share a comment with your blog address so I can share it with everyone else.......until November 10th!

3 comments:

Kasey said...

Way to go. What a fantastic outlook on it all.

Greta said...

Just wanted to say Congratulations!!

Greta said...

Just wanted to say Congratulations!!