Thursday, October 16, 2008

Someone please slap me.....

.......I have always been a person who is a "go to person".....and that usually means I end up taking on too much.

Over the past year, I have done a much better job with setting boundaries and allowing myself some time to slow down and enjoy the silence. And maybe to even get bored once in a while (boredom can be very positive, after all). This, from my perspective, is so important because it is truly in the silence that we hear and see Jesus the clearest.

But somehow, in the last month or two, I have let those boundaries slide. Bottom Line: I have taken on too much.

In the next 3 weeks, I have a key role in the following:

  • Organizing a class Homecoming tailgate party of nearly 80 people for Kennedy's class tomorrow.
  • Organizing an Odyssey of the Mind program launch for Tuesday night.
  • Organizing the classroom Halloween party for Kennedy's class.
  • Finishing a huge state report for Disability Services at the university.
  • Organizing the staff appreciation events for the year for our elementary school.

Add that on top of family stuff and teaching full time, and I definitely have a full plate right now.

On the one hand, I love organizing events that connect people together. I love spending time with the kids and their friends, and being an integral part of their school experience.

On the other hand, I need to be very careful about my time. These are all wonderful things.....but time is our most precious investment.

I don't plan on taking on any more extra commitments for the rest of 2008. I want to enjoy the things listed above but also take time to smell the roses, brew the coffee, and watch the leaves turn color.....and maybe just watch the dirt for my tulip bulbs to sprout! :) Oh, yeah....I have been so busy that I haven't yet had time to plant my tulip bulbs (which I purchased last fall at Costco and never got around to planting)........shouldn't that say something?

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Hmmmm, it sounds like you need an Ashley too:) Seriously though, if you need a hand with anything, we aren't too far away and would be happy to help!