

These pictures might suggest that I was stuck in the city's worst traffic jam today.....which I was, but this time, it was completely on purpose. Today, I had the distinct honor and opportunity to be a part of history in the making. President Gerald R. Ford "came home" to Grand Rapids today, where his funeral and burial will take place tomorrow. Many gathered along the route from the airport to his presidential museum to pay final respects to he and his family. Myself and a colleague waited outside near the highway for nearly 2 hours, only to learn that the presidential plan and motorcade were significantly delayed; so, we left that area. But, I was not to be deterred and really wanted to experience this historical event in the making. I drove toward the airport and was fortunate to drive up just in time to be stopped by the police blockade.....only 5 cars back from where the motorcade passed. So, I was able to see the events and to honor President Ford for his years of service to our country and our city. Truthfully, I was flooded with emotion, and unexpectedly so.
The 2nd day of January. It definitely feels very strange to be writing "07" but the new year is here to stay. My second "goal" of the year (I have sworn off the word "resolution" as it seems to suggest static as opposed to dynamic and "in process", which I definitely am!) relates to my first (exercise). My second goal for improving my health in 2007 is to revamp my eating habits......eating more fresh veggies, eliminating fried foods, and increasing my water intake are three biggies. I would definitely like to welcome 2008 in much better physical shape than I am in now (no, I am not setting a "pounds lost" goal, but rather focusing on what I will GAIN by making these changes.), and these two goals will put me on the road to reaching that goal. I am currently in the process of collecting some yummy yet healthy recipes, so am looking forward to re-stocking our kitchen and helping my whole family get on-board to healthier eating.

No comments:
Post a Comment