I have been doing some soul-searching in response to an Ali Edwards challenge to choose a word to guide your life and creative work in 2007. After some thinking and pondering, I have decided to choose a fairly simply word: BE.
BE.
I really don’t see that tiny two-letter word all by itself much. It seems that it is almost always used as a relatively insignificant word that leads up to a more powerful action verb or adjective. Be creative. Be playful. Be aware. Be open. Be still. Be inspired. Be energetic. Be patient…and, surely, these are very powerful and inspirational phrases.
But what about all by itself. Just BE. Where is “be” without another verb or adjective paired with it? This is the sole word and the question I am challenging myself to explore and live out in 2007. What does it mean to just BE. Period. BE.
For me, to just BE seems so basic, foundational and simple, yet very, very far from easy. To just BE means full awareness and presence in one’s existence. For me, the word BE is the essence of the Bible verse that I have chosen for my life. The verse from Isaiah speaks of the promise that God has known each one of us intimately since before we were born and that He has created us uniquely. “And while I was yet in my mother’s womb, you knew me. I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” That is awesome. I, in the essence of me, am fearfully and wonderfully made. I don’t have to do something to deserve it. I don’t have to earn it or achieve it or buy it or prove that I am worthy of it. God’s promise is that when I just BE in Him, I am at my best, my fullest, what I was made to be.
My definition of BE involves living authentically in God’s promises. It is involves intentionality. Awareness. Contentment. Surrender. Stillness. In essence, to BE involves being who I was created by God to be—nothing more and nothing less. It does not mean stagnation and laziness and deadness and resignation; on the contrary, I think some amazing growth and life and insight can be gained when we just BE. But it is hard. So hard. Without always having to strive and achieve and attain. Content. Settled. Living life. BEing.
In our world today, so much goes against a person’s natural God-given drive to just BE. We are pushed to do more and more, fill our calendars, fill and empty and fill and empty our wallets, and to go, go, go. And when we really stop, and are honest, we sometimes realize that we are living somehow disconnected from ourselves. Numb. Empty. Mindless. No intention. No passion or conviction or burn. Going through each day, yes, but with no time to just BE. I have found myself there as of late. This sad place of living without truly BEing. Not really even knowing or remembering who--truly who is this me?--it is that I need to BE. And I know that many are there with me. So this is the year that I explore what it means to BE and to discover ways to just BE in my own life in 2007 and beyond. And maybe, just maybe, I can inspire others to do the same.
Wow, for a lifelong over-achiever, go-getter, and someone who is always very busy, involved, and scheduled personally and professionally, it will be a difficult challenge to infuse this word into my everday life and existence. Just to BE who our awesome God made me to be. To reduce the distractions and fluff and accolades and empty busy-ness and stuff and things, and to just authentically BE. I am anxious to get started, up for the challenge and looking forward to growing and stretching and reflecting and creating by just, simply, BEing.
Monday, January 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment