Friday, January 26, 2007
On Being An Alien.
As of late, I have been spending a lot of time thinking about aliens. No, not the supposed little green men who some claim leave crazy marks on cornfields and abduct some unknowing human captors. Not aliens of the Star Trek or ET or Gremlin nature. No, I mean that I have been pondering the fact that I AM AN ALIEN. Several blogs that I read daily seem to have addressed this topic lately, and it has really sent my mind and heart a-spinnin'. So many times, as people who love Jesus, we talk about the fact that the world is not our home and that we are just passing through this life on our way to eternity with Jesus. But, I'm not sure that I have taken a prolonged look at what this REALLY means. We were not created for this world. We were created for perfection--for the perfect lush Garden--for close and intimate and perfect communion with God. But, due to the Fall and the resulting sin nature that has influenced every human being, we find ourselves living in this sinful world for a time. But, the fact remains: We are aliens. We were created for something much different, much better, and beyond our wildest human imaginations. But, how much time and energy do we spend trying to fit into this world. Trying to be successful by this world's standards. Trying to be cozy and comfortable and without pain. The truth is: As Christians who love Jesus and live with the promise of eternal life, we will always be uncomfortable and in pain and rejected in this world. Even Jesus, who was Perfect Love in the flesh, was clearly despised and rejected by men. Yet, we can live with great joy despite the pain and rejection. We can keep our eyes and hearts on Jesus. So, the next time I am tempted to succumb to this world's lies and allurements, I am going to remember on key truth: I AM AN ALIEN HERE. I want to do all that I can--with God's strength--to reach others for Jesus, but I will never fully fit in here. I will always be different than the world, Praise God. I will never truly fit it, PRAISE GOD! It puts a lot of things into perspective. This will influence how I raise and nurture my children; I know that they, too, will be rejected and despised and hurt for their faith. That is part of the deal. But I also know that the ultimate truth of eternal life, joy, peace, and Jesus' presence awaits them who love Him. It helps me to embrace my trials and pain and hurts and rejection as further evidence of the Perfect Life to come in the world--and with the King--for which I was created.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment