
I have spent many, many years of my life as a student in schools and universities. I hold a Ph.D. in psychology as well as psychology licenses and many continuing education credits. But you know, the most important thing I learned is quite simple: The more I learn, the more I know that I need to learn. Isn't it true? This two-week course has reminded me so much that although I am a professor and have over 12 years of university teaching under my belt.....I learn as much if not more from my students than they learn from me and my course. These two weeks, I had five amazing young women in my class, and each of these women taught me something about art, God and creativity. One of the young women is writing a novel, will finish it this summer.
She taught me to never stop believing in your dream, no matter the adversity or nay-sayers that you face. Another young woman is currently memorizing the book of Phillipians. She reminded me how important it is to transform and renew our minds by committing God's word to memory. Another young woman is taking a risk and moving across the country, despite fears about leaving home and family and the familiar. She taught me that sometimes in life, it is just you and God, and that teaches complete and utter dependence. I admire another of the young women for their courage is facing a battle that she has tirelessly fought for a large part of her adolescence. She reminds me of what it is to run the race to which we are called, to keep fighting, and to give every aspect of life over to God. And the final young woman......she taught me what it is to live with passion, with joy, and with connection. Not to take yourself too seriously, and to always have fun in life. I am still at a point where I am only 10 years or so older than my students, yet it never fails that they teach me so much. When I feel that I've arrived, that my knowledge is complete, when I've learned all it is I need to know......I know then that it's time to stop teaching and get out so I don't pass that kind of nonsense on to others. Thanks, Ladies of PSY480 Art Therapy, for teaching me so much, for jumping into this experience with both feet, and for believing in yourselves, your creativity, and your artistic ability to serve, worship, and praise God through your creative work.

No comments:
Post a Comment